When I started this website and my cooking video’s I told myself that I would stay away from baking recipes and especially from bread recipes as baking pretty much is a science. Generally in baking, if you knead to long or if you add a little too much of this or not enough of that you’ll get a totally different outcome. And so I decided to stay away from it all together on this site.
But several weeks ago I tried to bake my first baguette and the process of making the baguette felt so good and satisfying that I decided to share this recipe with you. I really hope that if you do decide to give this a try you will enjoy the process and the end result as much as I did.
- Flour 4 Cups
- Water 1 1/2 Cup
- Yeast 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sugar 1 Teaspoon
- Add the sugar to the water, make sure that the water is lukewarm. Then sprinkle the yeast on the surface of the water. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, mix the salt with the flour.
- After your yeast has proofed add about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of the flour to the liquid and mix it with a wooden spoon or use the dough hook of your kitchen machine.
- While mixing it the dough will go through different stages. At first, the dough will feel hard and look dry but as you keep mixing the dough will get more sticky which is the texture that we are going for.
- Now cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rest for about 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours.
- After the dough has risen, knead it for about 5 minutes on a well-floured surface.
- After kneading, cut the dough in (even) pieces. Then roll them in the shape of a baguette
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and sprinkle it with flour.
- Put the baguette on the baking tray and use a knife to make as many slits as you desire.
- Cover it with a towel and let it rest for another 1 to 1,5 hours
- While the baguettes are resting we will prep the oven. Fill a skillet a bowl or a pan that can be used in the oven with water. Put it on the lowest rack of your oven and preheat the oven to 300C.
- Put the baguettes in the preheated oven and bake them for about 30 minutes. After baking them for 15 minutes, open the oven and mist the baguettes and oven with water. Close the oven and bake them for the remaining 15 minutes.
- And there you have your baguettes!