Kelewele is a Ghanaian snack made of ripe plantain and fresh spices. It is usually eaten as snack and it goes well well with peanuts!
- 3-4 Ripe Plantain
- 2 Onions Medium Sized
- 80-100g Fresh Ginger
- 1 Adjuma Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 Cups Vegetable Oil (For frying)
- * Basil (Optional)
- Peel and cut the ginger and the onion.
- In a blender or a food processor add the onion, ginger, fresh pepper, basil*, and water. Blend the vegetables until it becomes smooth and set it aside.
- Cut the plantain into small cubes and add the blended vegetables and the salt to it. Give it a mix and set it aside.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep (frying)pan and heat the oil over medium to high fire.
- Fry the plantain in two or three batches depending on the size of your (frying)pan until golden brown.
Please be aware that this page contains affiliate links and any purchases made trough such links will result in a small commission for me at no extra cost for you.