Jollof rice is a staple in many West African countries and everyone has their own way of preparing it. I have made several versions of this famous dish on my YouTube channel but today I decided to share a vegan Jollof rice filled with lots of veggies. This Jollof rice is very simple to make and packed with lots of flavours.
- 250g (Jasmine) rice
- 400g Canned tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Tomato purée (80g)
- 1/4 Cup tomato paste (68 gr.)
- 3 -4 Garlic cloves
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 Sweet pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 Habenero pepper
- 4 Stalks Parsley
- 150g Sweet corn
- 2 Onions
- 1 Smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Dried oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon of your favourite spice mix
- 2 Teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- Cut the onions, green chili pepper and sweet pepper.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat and cook white onions until translucent.
- Add tomato puree, mix it with the onions and cook it for 4 - 5 additional minutes.
- In the mean time blend canned tomatoes, red onions, garlic, habanero pepper, and smoked paprika until smooth.
- Add the blended vegetables to the pot and mix it, continue to cook over medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add salt, dried herbs and spices. Mix into the stew.
- Add corn, sweet pepper and green chilli pepper. Mix into stew
- Add rice and mix it with the stew.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot with either; aluminium foil, plastic, a clean kitchen towel or parchment paper. Then cover the pot with its lid (this is done to trap in as much heat as possible).
- Use a fork to fluff out the rice very 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook until rice is tender.
- Add chopped parsley after rice is fully cooked
Please be aware that this page contains affiliate links and any purchases made trough such links will result in a small commission for me at no extra cost for you.